Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Why this blog?

I've started a more general blog, relating my personal experience to the political, economic, ideological and environmental mess we have created in the UK (and worldwide - yes, if it's not there already, it's coming to you soon!) - and generally pontificating on such issues. A few days ago I started listing organisations which annoy me on a regular basis. The first to come to mind was "wagn", a division of National Express (yes, those guys who run the majority of the country's long distance bus/coach services), who operate the Cambridge to King's Cross rail service. The second was the RMT union, one of the country's few remaining militant trade unions. Both regularly disrupt my travel plans.

I don't commute to London every day, though may do so in the future. I use the service probably 2 or 3 times a week, but also rely on it indirectly when it is used by people coming to visit or meet me. Even for myself, though, the service is an important part of my life, particularly as its failures can - and regularly do - screw up my plans. Yet it is run explicitly in the interests of wagn - no doubt at a healthy profit - with considerable influence by the unionised workforce. We, the travelling public pay for the service, yet have very little control over it.

I've now realised that there is so much wrong - just with the rail service from Cambridge to London - that a dedicated blog is called for. And I was inspired by this blog about the London Underground. I don't intend to restrict myself just to the Cambridge - London experience. Other public transport journeys and general issues will also be covered, though the Cambridge to London service will be the focus. Enjoy. Share your experiences (add comments or contact me to become a regular contributor). Get angry. Then calm down and get even! Do something about it: make our lives better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home